Twitter has been the go-to platform for brands to promote their products and services. It offers the opportunity to appeal to a worldwide potential consumer base. But to attract the attention of users on Twitter, you need an engaging Twitter content strategy that can help you build a community to increase conversion rates.
Random tweets and updates about your brand’s products and services won’t help you build an engaging community. You need to plan an effective content strategy by analyzing your historical and real-time performance metrics. A social listening tool can analyze your Twitter activities and provide you with the insights to create engaging content.
A brand’s content strategy is based on the industry it operates in, and the products and services it offers. There is no single golden rule for creating a content strategy and will always evolve with the industry.
Nevertheless, there are some key measures you can implement to maximize the effectiveness of your content to grow your brand.
Define goals before planning Twitter content strategy
The foremost thing to do before planning a Twitter content strategy is defining business goals. It is essential to define what you want to achieve, only then can you create content that can help you do that. What your goals should be?
- Generating brand awareness
- Increase engagement
- Lead generation
- Drive traffic to website and increase sales
- Build a community
- Improve brand image
- Enhance customer support experience
You must revisit your brand values and analyze your audience to further define the extent of these goals. You also have to evaluate what type of content aligns with your overall marketing goals and can help you achieve it.
Identify Your Target Audience
After you define your goals and have a better understanding of what you want to achieve, it’s time to identify your target audience. Before you begin planning your Twitter content strategy, try to make a profile of your target audience. Understanding their interests, likes, and dislikes can help you create an engaging Twitter content strategy.
If you have been running your brand’s Twitter profile for over a year, you can analyze the performance of your tweets. Use a Twitter analytics tool to find content that resonates with your target audience. You can extract insights like:
- Top interests
- Top languages
- Popular topics of discussion
- Trending hashtags
- Audience demographics
By analyzing your past tweets, you can extract valuable insights that can help you enhance your Twitter content strategy.
If you have a new business or company, identify your competitors, and use Twitter analytics tools to extract valuable insights. You can also analyze their content strategy and use proven and effective approaches to promote your brand on Twitter.
Where does content fit to help you achieve your goals?
After you have defined your goals and identified the target audience, you must decide what you need the content for. You can use content in many ways, including brand promotion, event and campaign updates, customer support, and storytelling. But these can be further classified by the purpose they serve in achieving your marketing goals such as:
- Increasing engagement: If you want the content to focus on increasing engagement (likes, retweets, impressions, and reach) and ultimately result in an increase in followers.
- Driving conversion rates: If you want to utilize the content for driving traffic to your official website and increase conversion rates (sign-up and subscriptions) for your brand.
- Overall Sales: If you want to solely focus your content (blogs, images, and videos) on increasing sales for your products and services.
Twitter Content Strategy
Once you have realized the areas where you want to focus your content, the next step is to select the type of content that can help you achieve those goals.
- Content Topics: Analyze your historical Twitter data to identify topics that your audience engages with the most and the topics that do not provide engagement. Consider making a list of such topics for your content strategy.
- Media: Visual content has proved to increase engagement by 50% for your content. Adding visual content (photos and videos) attracts more engagement as it further clarifies what you offer and if it’s worth following on Twitter.
- Content posting schedule: Posting content randomly on Twitter won’t increase engagement. Post frequently and often that the users deem it worthwhile to follow you. We recommend that you post between 8-10 times a day, established brand often tweet 15-20 times each day on Twitter.
Twitter Content Strategy: Increase reach and promote your tweets
The primary objective of the content you post is to increase engagement and help build a large community that drives sales for your brand. You have to increase the reach of your content and promote your content to maximize engagement. There are several ways you can do that.
- Keywords strategy and @mentions: SEO is an excellent way to increase the visibility of your content. Users prefer using keywords and @mentions to find relevant content. You can optimize your tweets with keywords to increase the search results for your tweet, including @mentions can increase the awareness and follower base for your brand.
- Leverage Hashtags: Hashtags are the backbone of content on Twitter. They are the only means to help categorize content for users and also helps in increasing impressions and reach. Use relevant trending hashtags in your content to increase its visibility on Twitter.
- Best time to Tweet: Twitter has plenty of content and if your content is not timed perfectly (when the users are online) it will be lost in the users’ Twitter feed. Identify the time-frame when the users engage with your content the most and post your tweets accordingly.
- Encourage users to share: You can also encourage users to share your content (retweets) to increase its reach among the followers of your followers. You can offer a prize in return to encourage users in doing so. (Wendy’s- Carter Wilkerson’s tweet)
Best Twitter Content Strategy Practices
User-generated Content Increases Engagement
User-generated content can enhance your brand image and increase conversion rates for your brand. Plan a campaign where users can share their experiences with your brand. It can help in increasing the trust of users towards your brand as people prefer buying products more, once there are aware of the experiences of others with the brand.
Also, user-generated content can help you amass large volumes of quality content from users. You can use it in your Twitter content strategy to promote your brand.
Use Twitter Chats in Your Twitter Content Startgey
Live Twitter chat is a great feature that you can use to fill gaps in your content strategy. Only active users can engage in Twitter chats, and it’s the perfect recipe to encourage your followers to engage with your brand. If you don’t know how to run a Twitter chat, visit live chats of the competitors in your industry or niche.
SAVE THE DATE: Thurs., March 12 3 pm ET is our annual culinary-travel Twitter chat. We’ll be here tweeting about the best in food and travel! Go here for #foodietravel inspo: https://t.co/6CaEYg2bL6. And here for details about #TWchats: https://t.co/9MfonCZYKm.
— Travel Weekly (@TravelWeeklyUS) March 4, 2020
Carefully think what your chat is going to be about, there is a lot of space that you can get creative with. Plan conversation topics of ahead or time along with a hashtag to go with your live chat. Also, don’t forget to promote your Twitter chat ahead of time. You can also invite influencers to help you promote your brand and increase the scale of the conversation.
Use Twitter Polls
Twitter polls are yet another amazing feature that you can use to enhance your content strategy. You can use it to ask questions about the content you post and seek suggestions to increase engagement by delivering more personalized content. Encourage your audience to engage with your brand and ask for insights to provide a better user experience.
Q: Do you listen to podcasts (on any topic)?
— Rand Fishkin (@randfish) May 10, 2017
Measure Impact of Your Twitter Content Strategy
Now that you have planned an effective content strategy, the last thing to do is to measure its impact. A brand must constantly measure and evaluate the extent of reach and impressions along with its impact on the conversion rates for the brand.
Also, regularly measure your KPI’s and the overall growth rate and compare them with the estimated statistics. It allows you to find new trending topics and also helps in further optimizing your content strategy to achieve your goals.
Plan Your Twitter Content Strategy Ahead of Time
The last and the most important thing to do is; plan your content strategy ahead of time. Create a content posting schedule to help post engaging content consistently. Schedule you’re your tweets ahead of time. You can prepare content ahead of time for holidays and events so you don’t miss out on such opportunities.
You may not be able to prepare for all scenarios, you never know when a new trend will emerge and have to improvise your strategy when it happens. However, by planning ahead of time you can deliver quality content to your followers with consistency.
Create Twitter Lists
Creating a Twitter list is one of the best ways to compiling engaging content ideas. Any user can create a Twitter list with ease, you also have the option to keep your Twitter lists private. This way you can easily spy on your competitors without them knowing a thing, of course, they can do the same with you.
Just add specific accounts that you want to follow or your competitors and easily track content that they post. By analyzing the engagement metrics of their post, you can identify engaging content topics to help plan your content strategy.
Use Twitter Moments
Twitter moments are a group of tweets posted on a specific topic or event. It’s a simple way of providing users with a lot of content related to any topic that users like to engage with and thus drive engagement. The Twitter moments section usually includes trending news, entertainment, and similar topics.
Plan a Twitter content strategy based on what users are interested in and what works best to build a community and increases conversion rates. Al